Houzz is the leading online platform for home remodeling and design, providing people with everything they need to improve their homes from start to finish – online or from a mobile device. In other words, Houzz is the Pinterest for the remodeling, design, or the construction industry.
For construction, design, remodeling, etc. professionals, Houzz offers a unique opportunity to reach a more targeted audience and connect with similar professionals. Houzz is described as the “easiest way for people to get the design inspiration, project advice, product information, and professional reviews they need to help turn ideas into a reality”. Below we will share why you should consider Houzz and how to get started.
Why You Should Consider Using Houzz
There are several business benefits to joining the Houzz network including:
- Exposing your work to millions of homeowners researching ideas and professionals
- Storing your entire photo portfolio for free
- Using Houzz online tools to communicate with clients and prospective clients
You can expose your work to millions of homeowners who are researching ideas and professionals because Houzz allows users to search for local pros in their area, browse by room, or search for Ideabooks based on a certain topic.
Below are a few testimonials from a variety of professionals on their experience with Houzz. You can view all testimonials here.
“Four leads and one project that turned into a $100,000+ three floor remodel project with great clients – that’s a good ratio in my opinion” (Clark Harris)
“I just discovered that 65% of my site traffic comes from Houzz” (Michael Abrams Limited)
“I primarily do large scale remodels and new construction. Houzz has allowed me to target the modern/contemporary market as many of my clients use the website to generate design ideas by searching the “Modern” keyword.
Once they begin to research contractors in our area they find my work and namesake ( Modern Craft Construction ) which leads to the initial contact with my company. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!” (Modern Craft Construction, LLC)
Getting Started With Houzz
1. To create your account, click here, and then enter your basic info including email, username, password, and classification (homeowner/renter or a home improvement professional/vendor). There is also the option to sign up through Facebook.
2. Fill out your profile information including firm name, category, website, services provided, areas served, certifications and awards, a profile photo, contact information, etc.
You will be provided with a profile completion score. Make sure to get to 100% to increase your exposure on Houzz and raise your ranking in the Professionals Directory. It will provide you with tips to build out your profile to 100% (see below).
3. Create Ideabooks. Ideabooks are similar to boards on Pinterest, in that it is where you put your pictures and how you organize your pictures. For example, you could have before & after boards where you show pictures of a project you are working on before and after. A kitchen board, where you have pictures of kitchens you have remodeled or built. Give your Ideabook a title and a description.
4. Once your Ideabook has been created, you can add photos. You can upload a photo from your computer or add a photo from a website. Then, add a short description of “what you like about this space”. Use high quality photos. Your photos will be the first impression a potential client has.
5. Request Reviews. Ask your current or past clients to provide a review. Having reviews will increase your visibility on Houzz and your exposure to potential new clients. Reviews should:
- Include as many details as possible
- Include photos of the construction process and finished space
- Be from a reviewer with a complete Houzz profile with a profile photo to increase credibility
6. Participate in Discussions. You can get help on projects, share finds, and show off your projects before and after. Or provide suggestions, tips, or solutions for a “design dilemma” to position yourself as a thought leader and build relationships.
Check out this video to learn more about Houzz.
Do you use Houzz? Can you offer any tips or suggestions for users? Let us know in the comment box below and share this post using the social bookmarking tools below.